Obtain a Fitness for Work note
The DWP has issued strict guidelines for doctors to follow when issuing Fitness for Work notes (formerly known as ‘sick notes’).
You can dowload a patient and employers guide to this here: Guide to Fit Notes.
If the illness is:
- Less than 3 days: your employer should not require a Fitness for Work note
- Between 3 and 7 days: you should hand your employer a "self certificate" (SC1). You do not need to see the doctor for this
- We do not issue fit notes before 7 days of illness even as a private chargeable service. (information about your employment rights can be seen here and in the Guide to Fit Notes. You can provide this to your employer if they are diputing your rights)
- You are able to return to work at any time even before a sick note expires if you feel you are fit.
- There are no "return to work" notes anymore, and the practice does not provide these even as a private chargeable service. If you or your employer has concerns about your suitability to return to work, advice should be sought from an occupational health service.
- If you have been advised to isolate due to contact with COVID, you can get an isolation note at https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note/
Please visit the Department for Work and Pensions website for more information.